History of Gouyave
Taken from the: Grenada Handbook and Directory of 1946
On Monday November 18th 1867 Grenada gave proof of her volcanic origin and tendencies. Between 5:00 and 5:20pm the sea having been previously very calm, a sudden drop of the water in the St. George’s harbour took place. The sea falling about 5ft and exposing the reef in front of the lagoon and nearby areas. Within a few seconds, with a slight rumbling noise the water over the “Green Hole” an area close to the “spout” began to boil and emit sulphurous vapour. The sea in the harbour rose violently and rushed unto the Carenage. The wave was experienced along the west coast as far north as the town of Gouyave, where it appears to have attained its maximum dimension, rising so high at Douglaston Estate as to cover the Bridge at the mouth of the river destroying the cane fields. Major damages were done to the L’Anse. At 9:00pm and again at 1:00am there were heavy earthquakes.
- 1882, December 3rd. The formal opening of the wooden jetty at Gouyave took place.
- 1888, August. A branch of the Saving Bank was open at Gouyave Revenue Office along with mail services later in the year.
- 1889, September 9th. Severe flooding along the West coast as a result of heavy rainstorms. The Gouyave and St. Mark’s River overflowed their banks and cause considerable damages, sweeping through the town of Gouyave and Victoria and tearing up the roads.
- 1890, July. The water works was open.
- The main road from Gouyave to Grenville across the middle of the island was completed.
- The rainfall was very heavy for that year 100 inches being recorded in the south and 201 in the centre. On 15th November of that year the river embankment at Gouyave was seriously damaged by flood.
- Was the fourth consecutive year in which destructive floods occurred in Grenada. On November 8th there were heavy rains in St. John’s, flooding the Gouyave River and once more damaging the recently erected boulder bank and again on December 6th further damaging the boulder bank and destroying the stone bridge at the mouth of the Gouyave River.
- In the latter part of that year Iron bridge were completed for Gouyave and Florida, so was the new boulder bank at Gouyave.
- 1899, August 6th. The Gouyave Anglican church was struck by lighting.
- The Iron Bridge at Grand Roy was Built.
- 1911, September 24th & 25th. Severe storm resulting in heavy rains damaging the roads and cultivations in Gouyave and Concord.
- 1921, September 7th. The hottest day in Grenada’s history 93 degree in the shade and 106 degrees in the open.
- 1921, September 8th. Hurricane in Grenada. Other “storms” dates are: 1768, 1780, 1817, 1872, 1877,1911, 1921, 1944 and 1955.
- 1946, October 4th, Friday. Severe rainstorms in Grenada: 15 persons were killed in Victoria and 13 houses washed away.
- 1944, August 5th. Schooner Island Queen left Grenada for St. Vincent and never heard of again. 56 passengers on board.
- 1944, May 25th. General Election held. John Fleming, unopposed, St. John’s & St. Mark’s.
- 1955, September 22nd. Hurricane Janet struck Grenada created heavy damages on the island and killing dozen.
- 1946, March 15th. Consecration of the Church of St John the divine, Gouyave (the old RC Church / School).
- The population of Gouyave was 2.004.
Other things of importance
- The Grenada Labour Party, founded in November 1929.
- Head Office in Gouyave, St.John’s (Liberty Hall).
The establishment of the Grenada Co-operative Bank in 1932 and provision of sick benefits to members in 1930 of the Grenada Labour Party.
- C. A. Grant, President
- A. R. L. Miller, Vice President
- Agnes Lewis, Secretary